- We say 'to go into/come into' etc. = enter (a room/building etc.):- Don't wait outside! Come into the house. - The man the police were chasing ran into a shop. - A bird flew into the room through the window.
- I opened the door and went into the room.We say 'to crash/drive/bump/run into someone/something':
- He lost control of the car and crashed into a wall.We say 'to divide / cut / split something into (two or more parts)':- Cut the meat into small pieces before frying it.
- The book is divided into three parts.We say 'to translate (a book etc.) from one language into a other language':
- George Orwell's books have been translated into many languages.
Combinatory dictionary. 2013.
Look at other dictionaries:
Into — In to, prep. [In + to.] To the inside of; within. It is used in a variety of applications. [1913 Webster] 1. Expressing entrance, or a passing from the outside of a thing to its interior parts; following verbs expressing motion; as, come into the … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
into — into, in to 1. Into is written as one word when the meaning is unified in expressing motion towards or to within a destination (He walked into a tree / She put her hand into his). However, when in and to retain their separate roles, it is… … Modern English usage
into — [in′to͞o, in′too, in′tə; in to͞o′] prep. [ME < OE: see IN1 & TO1] 1. from the outside to the inside of; to the midst or depths of [walked into the house, jumped into the lake] 2. advancing or continuing to the midst of (a period of time)… … English World dictionary
Into — meaning, entering or changing form, may also refer to: *INTO University Partnerships, a British business *Into, an uncommon term for an injective function in mathematics * Into , an album by The Rasmus *Into, a male Finnish name *Into, used as a… … Wikipedia
Into — Студийный альбом The Rasmus Дата выпуска 29 октября 2001 год Жанр Поп рок Длительность … Википедия
Into — Studioalbum von The Rasmus Veröffentlichung 29. Oktober 2001 (in Europa), 20. Februar 2007 (in den USA) Label Warner Music Finland … Deutsch Wikipedia
Into — Álbum de The Rasmus Publicación 29 de Octubre de 2001 Grabación 2001 Género(s) Rock alternativo Duración 51 min … Wikipedia Español
Into — Album par The Rasmus Sortie 29 Octobre 2001 (Europe, 20 Février 2007 ([USA]) Enregistrement Mai a Decembre 2000 Nord Studio, Stockholm Durée 39min et 54 s Genre … Wikipédia en Français
into — O.E. into, originally in to. The word is a late O.E. development to replace the fading dative case inflections that formerly distinguished, for instance, in the house from into the house. To be into something, be intensely involved in, first… … Etymology dictionary
into — ► PREPOSITION 1) expressing motion or direction to a point on or within. 2) expressing a change of state or the result of an action. 3) indicating the direction towards which someone or something is turned. 4) indicating an object of interest. 5) … English terms dictionary
into — in|to [ ıntə, ıntu, strong ıntu ] preposition *** 1. ) used for showing movement a ) entering a place, building, or vehicle: She got into her car and drove away. Hundreds of athletes marched into the stadium for the opening ceremony. I wandered… … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English