1) to manage, operate a shop
2) an antique shop; barbershop (esp. AE), barber's shop (BE); bookshop; butcher (AE), butcher's (BE); chemist's (BE); duty-free; gift; novelty; pastry shop; sweetshop (BE); thrift; toy shop
3) a draper's shop (BE; AE has dry-goods store)
4) at, in (she works in a shop)workshop
5) a beauty (esp. AE); body; machine; paint; printing shopplace of work
6) a closed shop ('firm that hires only union members')
7) an open shop ('firm that hires union members and non-union members')
8) a union shop ('firm that hires only workers who will join the union if they are not already members')misc.USAGE NOTE: Shop and store are CE. In BE, store tends to be used for a very large retail establishment (department store) and shop for the others (bookshop, sweetshop). In AE, store is used for all, regardless of size (department store, book store, candy store). However, AE can also use shop for a small specialized store (bookshop, millinery shop).
9) to close down (a) shop ('to stop operations'); to set up shop ('to begin operations'); to talk shop ('to discuss one's work while not at work'); a coffee shop (AE; BE has coffee bar); a betting shop (BE; CE has book-maker's)IIv.
1) (D; intr.) to shop for (to shop for food)
2) (misc.) to go shopping; let's go window shopping; to shop smb. to the police (BE; slang) ('to inform on smb. to the police')* * *[ʃɒp]a betting shop (BE; CE has bookmaker's) USAGE NO It. Shop and store are CE. In BEbookshopduty-freelet's go window shoppingoperate a shoppastry shopprinting shopregardless of size (department store, book store, candy store) . However. AE can also use shop for a small specialized store (bookshop, millinery shop) .store is used for allstore tends to be used for a very large retail establishment (departments/ore) and shop for the others (bookshop, sweetshop) . In AEtoy shopto set up shop ('to begin operations')to talk shop ('to discuss one's work while not at work')to shop smb. to the police ('to inform on smb. to the police'; BE; slang)butcher (AE)a coffee shop (AE; BE has coffee bar)barber's shop (BE)butcher's (BE)chemist's (BE)sweetshop (BE)barbershop (esp. AE)in (she works in a shop)(misc.) to go shopping['store'] to managean antique shopat['place of work'] a closed shop ('firm that hires only union members')a union shop ('firm that hires only workers who will join the union if they are not already members')an open shop ('firm that hires union members and non-union members')['misc. '] to close down (a) shop ('to stop operations')a draper's shop (BE; AE has dry-goods store)['workshop'] a beauty (esp. AE)(D: intr.) to shop for (to shop for food)
Combinatory dictionary. 2013.
Look at other dictionaries:
shop — shop … Dictionnaire des rimes
Shop — Shop, n. [OE. shoppe, schoppe, AS. sceoppa a treasury, a storehouse, stall, booth; akin to scypen a shed, LG. schup a shed, G. schoppen, schuppen, a shed, a coachhouse, OHG. scopf.] 1. A building or an apartment in which goods, wares, drugs, etc … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
shop — n: a business establishment: a place of employment see also closed shop, open shop, union shop Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster. 1996 … Law dictionary
shop — /shop/, n., v., shopped, shopping, interj. n. 1. a retail store, esp. a small one. 2. a small store or department in a large store selling a specific or select type of goods: the ski shop at Smith s. 3. the workshop of a craftsperson or artisan.… … Universalium
shop — [shäp] n. [ME schoppe < OE sceoppa, booth, stall, akin to Ger schopf, porch < IE base * (s)keup , a bundle, sheaf of straw: prob. basic meaning “roof made of straw thatch”] 1. a) a place where certain goods or services are offered for sale; … English World dictionary
.shop — Introduced 2000 TLD type Proposed generic top level domain Status Pending Registry CommercialConnect.net Sponsor None Intended use e commer … Wikipedia
Shop — may refer to:*A retail shop or store *An online shop *A workshop *A machine shop *A paint shop * To shop to go to a store or stores to buy goods * Shop class , an industrial arts educational program *The Shopi, a subgroup of the Bulgarians, Serbs … Wikipedia
Shop — 〈[ ʃɔ̣p] m. 6〉 Geschäft, Laden (SexShop) [engl.] * * * Shop [ʃɔp ], der; s, s [engl. shop, über das Afrz. < mniederd. schoppe = Schuppen]: Laden, Geschäft. * * * Shop [dt. »Kaufladen«], Electronic Shopping. * * * Shop [ʃɔp], der; s, s [engl … Universal-Lexikon
shop — SHOP, shopuri, s.n. Magazin în care se vând mărfuri cu plata în valută. [pr.: şop] – Din engl. [tourist] shop. Trimis de LauraGellner, 22.07.2004. Sursa: DEX 98 SHOP s.n. (Anglicism) Magazin, prăvălie. [< engl. shop]. Trimis de LauraGellner … Dicționar Român
Shop — bezeichnet im Allgemeinen ein kleineres Einzelhandelsgeschäft oder einen virtuellen Marktplatz (E Shop). Spezielle Shops sind unter anderem: Coffee Shops, siehe Café Convenience Shops Coffee Shops (Niederlande), Headshops, Smartshops und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
shop — ► NOUN 1) a building or part of a building where goods or services are sold. 2) a place where things are manufactured or repaired; a workshop. ► VERB (shopped, shopping) 1) go to a shop or shops to buy goods. 2) (shop around) … English terms dictionary