- n.group of items serving a common purpose
1) an air-conditioning; amplifying; brake; data-processing; filing; guidance; heating; highway (AE), motorway (BE), road; intercommunication; life-support; number; public-address; railroad (AE), railway (BE); sprinkler; steering; transit (esp. AE), transport (esp. BE)form of organization, principles pertaining to a form of organization
2) a capitalist; caste; communist; Copernican; economic; educational, school; electoral; governmental; hierarchical; honor; merit; multiparty; one-party; patronage; philosophical; political; quota; seniority; socialist; spoils; two-party system
3) (colloq.) (AE) a buddy system
4) under a system (under our political system)
5) (misc.) to beat the system ('to circumvent established procedures')group of items forming a unified whole in nature
6) an ecosystem; mountain; river; solar systemfunctionally related group of bodily elements or structures
7) the cardiovascular; central nervous; circulatory; digestive; excretory; genito-urinary; immune; reproductive; respiratory systemclassificationtype of measurement
8) a decimal; metric; monetary; taxonomic systemgroup of substances in or approaching equilibrium
9) a binary; ternary systemset of meteorological conditions
10) a high-pressure; low-pressure systemprocedure
11) the touch system (of typing)elements that allow the operation of a computer
12) to boot up; reboot a system
13) a disk operating, operating systemmisc.
14) systems analysis; systems theory* * *['sɪstɪm]Copernicanamplifyingcentral nervouscirculatorycommunistdata-processingdigestiveeconomiceducationalelectoralexcretorygenito-urinarygovernmentalhierarchicalintercommunicationlife-supportlow-pressure systemlow-pressure systemmetricmonetarymultipartyone-partyphilosophicalpoliticalpublic-addressreboot a systemreproductiverespiratory systemsocialistsolar systemsprinklertaxonomic systemternary systemtwo system party systemsystems theoryhighway (AE)motorway (BE)railroad (AE) . railway (BE)transit (esp. AE)transport (esp. BE)(colloq.) (AE) a buddy system['classification'] ['type of measurement'] a decimal['elements that allow the operation of a computer'] to boot up['form of organization, principles pertaining to a form of organization'] a capitalist['functionally related group of bodily elements or structures'] the cardiovascular['group of items forming a unified whole in nature'] an ecosystem['group of items serving a common purpose'] an air-conditioning['group of substances in or approaching equilibrium'] (chemistry) a binary['misc. '] systems analysis['set of meteorological conditions'] a high-pressurea disk operating(misc.) to beat the system ('to circumvent established procedures')['procedure'] the touch system (of typing)under a system (under our political system)
Combinatory dictionary. 2013.